Curious about how WINDSTOPPER® fabrics and apparel are engineered? Wondering about their comfort and performance, or how they are cared for and maintained? You'll find all this information and more right here. If not, contact us and we'll be glad to help.
- What is WINDSTOPPER® fabric?
- Why is the windchill factor important when I'm outdoors?
- What kinds of WINDSTOPPER® outerwear fabric choices are there?
- How does WINDSTOPPER® fleece compare to other windproof fleece?
- Can WINDSTOPPER® fabrics lose their windproofness?
- How is WINDSTOPPER® fabric different from GORE-TEX® fabric?
What is WINDSTOPPER® fabric?
WINDSTOPPER® fabrics utilize an ultralight inner membrane technology that combines total windproofness with maximum breathability. Engineered for a wide range activities and weather conditions, our fabrics are so comfortable and versatile, they often become favorite everyday outdoor garments as well.UP
Why is the windchill factor important when I'm outdoors?
When the wind blows through a garment that's not windproof, it destroys the warm layer of air next to your skin — your microclimate. You start to feel uncomfortable almost immediately. Just think about how many times you've retreated indoors when the windchill temperature was minus 10° F, even though the thermostat read 40° F. It's that windchill effect: it makes everything colder. With WINDSTOPPER® fabric, your clothing is totally windproof, so you can stay outdoors longer.UP
What kinds of WINDSTOPPER® outerwear fabric choices are there?
There are four basic categories of WINDSTOPPER® fabrics:
• WINDSTOPPER® Active Shells are the lightest, most packable garments, offering total windproofness, maximum breathability, and water resistance. They keep you comfortable for enhanced performance during highly aerobic activities.
• WINDSTOPPER® Soft Shells offer total windproofness and maximum breathability, combining the comfort of a soft mid-layer and the water resistance of a shell in one garment. They keep you comfortable with the freedom of movement you need for enhanced performance in a wide range of activities and weather conditions.
• WINDSTOPPER® Technical Fleece provides more warmth and comfort than non-windproof fleece with less bulk by combining total windproofness and maximum breathability. It's effective as a mid-layer or outer layer, keeping you warm and comfortable in cool and windy conditions.
• WINDSTOPPER® Insulated Shells provide lightweight warmth by combining total windproofness, maximum breathability, and water resistance. They are designed to keep warm air in and the cold wind out, while allowing perspiration to easily escape. They are ideal for cold and windy conditions.
How does WINDSTOPPER® fleece compare to other windproof fleece?
Many other "windproof" fleece products get their windproofness from outer coatings that degrade over time and are significantly less breathable. Our ultralight WINDSTOPPER® membrane technology is built right into the fabric. It's totally windproof, extremely durable, and highly breathable.UP
Can WINDSTOPPER® fabrics lose their windproofness?
No. Because our ultralight WINDSTOPPER® membrane technology is built right into the fabric, it retains its windproofness over use — even after 100 wash and dry cycles. Other windproof products, such as some microfibers, can lose windproofness after only one wash cycle.UP
How is WINDSTOPPER® fabric different from GORE-TEX® fabric?
WINDSTOPPER® garments are windproof and breathable. While water resistant, they are not waterproof. GORE-TEX® garments are waterproof, breathable, and windproof. Both fabrics are extremely durable.UP